Maj. Gen. Ahmed Assiri, a spokesman for the Saudi-led coalition attacking Shia Houthis in Yemen, said his government is not responsible for an airstrike on a funeral hall in Sana’a. The Saudi-owned Al Arabiya satellite network also said the coalition did not carry out strikes on the hall.
The sound of a jet, however, can be clearly heard in a video of the attack.
— ُِDr. Bin Ghalib (@naji1290) October 8, 2016
A United Nations report states 140 people were killed and over 525 injured.
The latest attack, the deadliest thus far in the war against Yemen, demonstrates the brutality of the Saudis and their willingness to attack innocent civilians.
— محمدالعماد M AL-EMAD (@M_Alemad2016) October 8, 2016
— FARIS AL ATHROAI (@MolhiaAbo) October 8, 2016
In September, Media Lens reported:
Since March 2015, a ‘coalition’ of Sunni Arab states led by Saudi Arabia, and supported by the US, Britain and France, has been dropping bombs on neighbouring Yemen. The scale of the bombing is indicated in a recent article by Felicity Arbuthnot – in one year, 330,000 homes, 648 mosques, 630 schools and institutes, and 250 health facilities were destroyed or damaged. The stated aim of Saudi Arabia’s devastating assault on Yemen is to reinstate the Yemeni president, Abd-Rabbu Mansour Hadi, and to hold back Houthi rebels who are allied with the former president, Ali Abdullah Saleh. The Saudis assert that the Houthis, who control Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, are ‘proxies’ for Iran: always a convenient propaganda claim to elicit Western backing and ‘justify’ intervention.
More than 6,000 civilians have died in the conflict.
Remarkably, the Saudis hold the chairmanship of the UN human rights council.
Last month the Obama administration proposed a $1 billion weapons deal with Saudi Arabia. The deal would allow the Saudis to continue slaughtering civilians in Yemen. The deal included over 150 M1A2 Abrams battle tanks, supplies of ammunition, and shipments of small arms.
The media in the United States believes the US should “stand” with the Saudis, in other words fully support the slaughter of innocent civilians.
— Defense One (@DefenseOne) October 7, 2016